This is one of the best street foods to be found anywhere in the world.
Most people think you can't imitate a proper shawarma at home - but believe me - this is amazing.
Full recipe below the video.
Enough for 4 large wraps with some lamb leftover.
1 lamb belly
5 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp natural yogurt
1 tbsp shawarma spice (recipe below)
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 heaped tsp salt
Spice mix (you can buy ready made versions)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
4 tbsp tahini
4 tbsp water
juice of one lemon
1/2 tsp salt
2 large plum tomatoes, deseeded and sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
small handful chopped parsley
Lebanese style flatbreads
Whole pickled chilli
- Blitz together marinade ingredients and rub marinade all over lamb. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200c and roast the lamb for 30 minutes until well coloured. Cover with foil and return to oven at 150c for another 90 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together all of the tahini sauce ingredients. It will look split and strange at first, but keep mixing and it will become smooth and silky.
- Prepare the tomatoes, onions and parsley as above and mix together.
- When the lamb is cooked, rest for 20 minutes and then cut into roughly 1cm slices. Lay these on your flatbread and cover with tahini sauce, then the pickled chilli and gerkin, the tomato salad, and finally top with hot sauce. Roll up and eat while the lamb is still warm.